We would like to bring to your attention a social media challenge targeting children and young people called the “Momo Challenge,” that has created concern throughout the country due to its disturbing nature.
We have attached some information produced by National On line Safety advising parents and carers what they need to know.
We have been asked to send the following update out.
The charities who deal with internet safety say there have been no reports up to now of anybody receiving messages or harming themselves as a result of the momo challenge. The information that has been sent out is focussing on how to keep your children safe on line.
Parents should concentrate on educating their children about internet safety by:
- Ensure they know what their children access on line and monitor on line activity;
- Ensure children understand the importance of not giving personal information out about themselves especially to people they don’t know;
- Tell their children no-one has the right to make them do anything they don’t want to do;
- Use parental controls to keep children safe;
- Attend any on line safety sessions that are taking place in schools.
Many thanks for your continued support.